Tuesday, December 14, 2010

-Best Holiday Recipe-

A few weeks ago, I spent the weekend with some of my distant family in Houston and literally had some of the best meals of my life. This part of the family is full of great cooks-most of which I am hoping to learn something from. But out of everything that I tasted, this was by far the best thing... (or I like wine more than food...don't judge). This recipe is for mulled wine, which is served warm, kind of like a cider. It is absolutely amazing but a word of advice- don't drink this like it's cider. And don't ask how I know.

4 cups of apple cider
1 bottle of red wine (ex: Cabernet Sauvignon)
1/4 cup honey
2 cinnamon sticks
1 orange, zested and juiced
4 whole cloves
3 star anise
4 oranges peeled for garnish

Combine the wine, cider, honey, cinnamon sticks, zest, juice, cloves and star anise in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Pour into mugs, add an orange peel to each, and serve.


I hope you all enjoy this as much as I did!

1 comment: